From Criterion: four of the greatest films by the Master of Suspense, digitally restored and accompanied by many extras. Includes The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), The 39 Steps (1935), The Lady Vanishes (1938), and Foreign Correspondent (1940). Plus audio commentaries, video essays, radio adaptations, documentaries, new and archival interviews, behind-the-scenes photos, and more. 4 films, 6 ¼ hrs, 4 Blu-ray discs, B&W and color.
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Alfred Hitchcock 1934
This fleet and gripping film is the first of the early thrillers the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, made during the fertile phase of his career spent at the Gaumont-British Picture Corporation.
The 39 Steps
Alfred Hitchcock 1935
A heart-racing spy story by Alfred Hitchcock, The 39 Steps follows Richard Hannay (Robert Donat) as he stumbles upon a conspiracy that thrusts him into a hectic chase across the Scottish moors.
The Lady Vanishes
Alfred Hitchcock 1938
In Alfred Hitchcock's most quick-witted and devilish comic thriller, a young woman finds herself drawn into a complex web of mystery and high adventure while traveling across Europe by train. The Lady Vanishes remains one of the master filmmaker's purest delights.
Alfred Hitchcock 1940
A full-throttle espionage thriller, starring Joel McCrea as a green Yank reporter sent to Europe to get the scoop on the imminent war, its wall-to-wall witty repartee, head-spinning plot twists, and brilliantly mounted suspense set pieces.
● Digital restorations of all four films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks.
● Audio commentaries on The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, and The Lady Vanishes.
● Video essays, radio adaptations, documentaries, and new and archival interviews.
● Crook's Tour, a 1941 film starring Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne as Charters and Caldicott, their characters from The Lady Vanishes.
● Production design drawings, behind-the-scenes photos, and promotional art.
● Essays by writers Charles Barr, David Cairns, James Naremore, Geoffrey O'Brien, and Farran Smith Nehme.
Run Time: 377 minutes
? Format: Widescreen
Number of discs: 4
Foreign Language Subtitles: No
Color or B&W: Color
SDH: Yes - English
Region Code: A/1
Aspect Ratio:?1.37:1 and 1.33:1??
● Joel McCrea
● Peter Lorre
● Robert Donat
● Madeleine Carroll
● Michael Redgrave